Stay at Home Highlights - Part 2 Technologies

Throughout March to May, I was pleasantly surprised on my acceptance for the staying-at-home lifestyle. While Melbourne's restriction is quite lenient as we are allowed to go out for exercise, working and groceries, I still try to stay at home as much as possible to minimize the risks (or maybe I am just lazy? Haha 😆) When I reflect on this whole journey, one thing I could relate so much is summarized in this image:
Totally. Working from home has brought tremendous changes on how we do certain things, not only in our works but also personal lives. So, here I am sharing some of the changes at work and also personal life due to technologies and invite you to take a look! 

3. Video calls with many loved ones and meeting! 
I don't think I ever have so many video calls as the past few months. In fact, the video call function is always there but we certainly do not utilize it as often.
I have multiple calls with family and friends back home and also with our life group meeting every fortnightly using Zoom. I actually never feel this connected in the past after I relocated here to Melbourne so I do appreciate how technology has brought us closer.
All of us in lockdown that time at different countries: Aus, NZ, Msia, Singapore. And we had fun trying out different functions in Messenger!
Friends from work 7 years ago (Oh man, how time passes!). Calling each other since everyone is getting bored at home and also checking on me whether I am still surviving in Melbourne or not haha.
Back then when the lady up there was still in Canada (and now she is back! How time passes again). I am spotted with this unglam expression haha. I suppose I am complaining how come they have all these cute little stickers in the video calls but I have none! 😕
We had a very nostalgic discussion for all our past memories 8 years ago back in our shared house that we named it Cherry De Sanctuary. I missed all our craziness and spontaneousness (cue singing Beyonce very randomly) that we shared in that place we called home 8 years ago.
With the Sunshine ladies back home! I miss miss miss them! This is not the only video call conversation I had with secondary schoolmates but I only have this picture haha. I do miss the time when I am back in Malaysia, just chatting with them, updating life. When can we do this again?
              
Also quite a new experience to have online concert listening to my sister playing her violin live!
Of course, the favourite is the video calls I had with family. My parents learned how to video call because of this covid situation and I am glad that we are able to connect even though being at different places!

The picture list is just a snapshot what went down throughout months and it is not even complete! We also have our weekly staff meeting on Zoom too. I have also celebrated birthday together with my siblings over video calls (Sis in April and bro in May) and also Fathers' and Mothers' Day. Special occasions are celebrated over video calls now. With this Covid still going strong, I guess that will soon become the norm for me (😃 or 😞? See my response at the last part of this post!)

4. Working and Attending Church Service - From Home!
Church online every Sunday 10am here. The service is also available in Youtube after the service!
Some of you might not aware but I have been working in church office since 2018 and still happily being involved. I work as a ministry worker who helps to connect people to a church community through life group (which is a small Bible Study group that meets regularly) or volunteering in church. Our main outreach platform is through weekly Sunday church service that we invite existing church attendees or general public to join us. With the church door closed due to Covid, we have since then migrated the whole church service Online!
This is part of my work portfolio -  a Life Group focus week that we organized as a team just shortly before the outbreak of Covid. I decorate this booth with pictures and fairy lights for promotion. Too bad after that week the church door is closed so nowadays, all the events are online now. Some are even forced to cancel since face-to-face meeting is quite impossible at this stage.

If you are wondering what a church service looks like, the online service does make it easier for people to access. Usually in a church service, we gather as a community to sing songs to praise God, and we also read the Bible together and the pastor will preach the words of God. I do think the misconception is that you have to be a member of the church or you need to give money to the church to join, which is absolutely wrong. Church is supposed to be a welcoming place for everyone and there is no obligation for anyone to 'pay' in order to be a part of the church. Church belongs to the people and exists for the people. So, everyone is welcomed and I do invite you to check out the link here if you are curious: crossculture.net.au/live. I remembered I attended my first church service back in KL because I was curious too and I googled 'church near me' haha. Then, from there, even I stumbled along the way searching for answers but I have never look back 💓

I love the online format as there is no time spent in commuting and also being so very comfortable at home. (Who is with me wearing the same clothes the whole day? Haha😆) But I do think I miss the community too, when we come together face-to-face, greeting and supporting one another, having tea and coffee after church and just simply chill around.

Lastly...

I want to thank God for the technology because as much as this whole Covid thing is frustrating, but at this era, the technologies exist and help me to feel connected and slightly better. However, at the same time, looking back at the pictures does make me feel that tinge of sadness and I think it is important to acknowledge it.

I do miss home. Home in Malaysia.

And I miss seeing everyone face-to-face, either back home or here in Melbourne. I am still a bit upset that I cannot do it, not in a near future that I can foresee. Melbourne's Covid cases keeps climbing (And yesterday recorded 428 cases!) and I cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel just yet 😔

Still sad. Because with Malaysia opening up, I can see glimpse of light. But not here, not yet in Melbourne 😔 I want to have a getaway, I want to meet people, I want to fly home and I want to dine out. I do miss all these moments as much as the new moments that technologies had created for me. But I can only pray and trust God that this too will come to an end, though I cannot see it yet 🙏 The best course of action for me, I think, is to do my best to stay home to be safe and responsible for people around me and keep trusting that all these will come to pass. I can only take it one step at a time. It is an uncertain time, and I don't know when or how I will manage to see all these lovely people once again, but it does remind me a little that I am not alone.
This is not part of my work but sharing this since it is for children ministry. Hope it cheers up your day.
Take care everyone! Next post will be on Saturday too and might be on another topic whole together. I guess I shall move on from my Covid posts and update you some of the things happening in life in the next post! 😆

Comments