Now that the border is still closed, we can only travel within Victoria. Victoria is big, and therefore most people will tell you to rent a car to travel around. However, for us - a couple that does not drive, I actually need to plan a trip that utilizes public transport option.
I know I don't have new year resolution this year because nothing can be planned this year π Hi Covid, you are still hereπ But I do hope that I can train myself to be confident in driving this year!
Our Destination - Portalington
I think one thing that Covid brings is that I actually want to explore more on regional destination. We can't travel abroad so we have to search for small and relaxing towns that we have never been. Such as this one, it is pronounced as 'port-a-ling-ton'. I was corrected because I pronounce it as 'porta-ling-ton' haha π
 |
That was our ferry! Very spacious and comfortable ride, not jumpy at all. I suppose the ferry is cruising the bay so the water is quite calm.
|
It is a seaside town again! We love to go anywhere sea-related. It is a relatively small and quiet town and only took us one hour by
ferry from the city. It is so convenient but hey, I have never heard
about this town before. (I am the typical city girl la wei) What a miss!
Accommodation - Portalington Vicarage Bed & Breakfast
Once we reach the town, we are allowed to early check-in. I really want to share about our accommodation though, it is so antique and pretty! It is a historical Victorian style building so the design has a lot of woods and timber. The hosts actually stayed in the same building but they stayed at the back so there is complete privacy and exclusive use of the lounge and dining area, with amazing breakfast to boost (host prepared cereal, bread, yoghurt and fruits, a lot of variety)! It was located behind the main street so it was really convenient to walk to nearby restaurant and beach.
Food - Portalington Mussels
This is one of the recurring menu in most of the restaurants. We had this almost every meal and I don't think I will want to have mussels for a long time after this trip hahaπ To be honest, there isn't a lot of restaurants to be chosen from. There is a main street in Portalington and yes, it is just that ONE street. Every time when I am out in regional Victoria, I have to remind myself that I am not in the city and the food choices are limited. (NO ubereat man haha)
And sadly, I even choose the wrong days to go. I don't know whether the restaurants communicate to each other because most of them only open from Wednesday to Sunday. And we were there from Monday to Tuesday π Even with electric bikes to explore the wineries in this area, out of the six wineries in the area, only two of them are opened on Monday and Tuesday.
 |
Scotchman Hill. This is one of the wineries that is open and we manage to get our lunch here.
|
Other wineries are either open from Thursday onwards or the dinner is only available on Friday and Saturday night. Sad or not you say.
Why ah why? Take my money la, you no open how I eat leh π
Things to do - Cycling and Beach
If you are looking for an action-packed holiday, this place is probably not the best haha. After taking that stroll on the main street which probably take us 15 minutes, we realize..we have finished seeing all the main stuffs in this area haha. The main attraction is the beach and the pier which is another 30 minutes walk and then, ta da we are done!
 |
The beach.. Passable. Not the best we have seen since it is a bit dirty. So we didn't swim there.
|
 |
| The pier is a nice walk! So many people fishing along this area and we even saw two people caught puffer fish. |
So, to make the most out of the trip, I certainly think renting a bike is very worth it. We rented the electric bikes for 24 hours and so glad we did. The electric bike is a bliss especially when going uphill. This area is so hilly so I think an electric bike is really helpful.
 |
I look so short here. Blame the photographer (*cough cough)
|
The bike ride to the wineries is quite an experience, though not for the faint hearts because we actually cycled beside the main road with cars zooming past. So it can get pretty scary some times. But I LOVE IT when there is no car though. I just cycled with the wind's help (highest speed I go with the electric boost is 37km/h!) and with the wineries view and the sea view in the far front, the whole journey has such liberating feel that I really enjoy it. No wonder people love cycling. I think I am in love with cycling after this too. (Another resolution? Hei hei π)
All in all, it was a relaxing trip that we enjoy. Though we think we might not need to spend two nights here in the future haha.
I will end this post with a beautiful picture of us, with the backdrop
of blue sky and blue sea. Hope this post provides you a breath of fresh air to the nature too. And hopefully in a not-so-distant future, we can all finally meet again.
Comments
Post a Comment