Wedding in February - Penang and Kuching!
It feels like ages since I wore my writing hats to write up posts for my blog. Today, I have decided to take this very first step! The last that you heard from me is probably the post about my new year resolution. Since then, life has been fast-forwarding and then soon, we were in February.
(And I know February was two months ago but it still feel like it wasn't that long! How staying at home has done to me..)
So here you go. My last overseas trip before we started to be officially lockdown here in Australia. We definitely had a good time back home and God knows how thankful I was to be able to make this trip and coming out safe and sound! Coronavirus was slowly making its way in China at this time with thousands of cases during our travel. During our second leg of the journey to fly to Kuching and Penang for the wedding from 8th to 16th February, we were at one point deciding whether to make our next half of the trip happened or should we just fly back home. Still, I was glad that we did make it to Penang and Kuching! And because I was there for this lady, one of my favorite girls, the trip is so worth it in the end.
I think words will never be enough to describe how I feel when I was there to witness the beautiful marriage of them both. So, I am going to share my best friend speech on stage here, just so to remind me years down the road there what embarrassing things that I had said haha.
'' Good evening ladies and gentlemen. Thank you for all being here to celebrate Brenda and Syadhisy’ very special day! For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Susan. I’m the friend of the bride and groom, and I am so honored to be here today to give a speech.
When Brenda asked me to give a speech, mainly because I made her do it at mine and she probably wanted a payback, but I knew how much it would mean to her. I have to say I am very honored to be a part of their special day but most of all to tell you what an amazing person and couple Brenda and Syadhisy are.
I’ll set the scene for you guys, so the story begins, every once in a while two people meet and you know it’s meant to be. I bet you thought I was going to say how magical their first meeting is going to be, but no, I actually describe how Brenda and I met 9 years ago.
We met during an interview session for job in Melbourne. You know how every time in the school there was this nerd girl who is so kiasu and followed you everywhere just to ask you questions? And yes, I am that nerd girl. She was the first candidate in the interview so after her interview ended, I went up to her to ask her for tips. On the record, Bren always said I even carry a notebook but I always tell other people I don't think so. But here it is, our first meeting.
We kept in touch after that because well, as kiasu as I am, I think I am quite a friendly person. Once we received offer letter from Petronas, we let each other know and eventually found out that we both got the same position in the same department. What are the chances? Two new recruits to the company at almost the same time and they are both beautiful. (now you know why we are friends) And from there on, a beautiful friendship is in the process of making.
And I started to know Brenda more, and also her friends and family. She brought me everywhere because I cannot drive. Although at first, she will be like: you very ma fan leh. But I will do my puppy eyes and she will roll her eyes and agree in the end. She is always this kind to her friends. Sometimes, we can just say 'hey, let's go on a road trip' and we drove all the way to Malacca. She can just be as spontaneous as me, so on a fine afternoon, I saw Air Asia had cheap flights to Maldives and I asked her 'shall we go? ' and she said yes why not. So both of us, with a backpack and small luggage because u know how AirAsia luggage is so expensive. So Syadhisy, I know Maldives is a nice honeymoon place but you have to pick somewhere else.
Throughout years when I am working in Petronas, we had holiday, pillow talks, birthday and more. She listens to my struggles and challenges just like I listen to her, sleeping over her room in PJ talking about dreams after our facial session or Korean class and imagining how we will come to be when we are 30 years old in age. And hey, here we are now. Even when we are apart, you are always there for me, listening to my grumbling or surprise me with a bouquet of flowers sent to Melbourne just for my birthday. We’ve been there for each other through some of the difficult times in our lives and have been grateful to experience some of the best years of our lives together.
And here is when I met Syadhisy, probably a year after I met Brenda. I am sorry Syad, I forgot how we first met. But both Bren and I have another motive when we purposely call you over for meeting if you recall. But you warmed up to us, to Bren especially and I secretly do know that it's going to be you when one day she told me that there is this guy. And I have seen how loving and patient you are in this relationship. I know it has not always been easy but I have been cheering for you both since.
Bren, you always say that I am a sister from another mother and I want you to know that you’re like a sister to me too. I’m so happy that you’ve found your another partner in crime who is going to layan all your spontaneous apart from me. I was doing a search on the internet for marriage quotes and I came along this one which I feel summed it up perfectly: “Love is a partnership of two unique people who bring out the very best in each other and who know that, even though they are wonderful as individuals, they are even better together.”
And this is so true for both Bren and Syad. You both are beautiful person inside and out and I’ve had the pleasure of being your friend for many years. You both are so loved by all of us here today and I believe we are all feeling so honored and privilege to be here to celebrate this special day of yours.
I’ll leave you two with a little advice. Love is not easy. It's not always a fairy tale and it's not perfect. Rather, Love is fighting to be together, holding on and never letting go despite the challenges and obstacles. So, as you embark on this new journey together, I wish you all the happiness in the world.
Now, ladies and gentlemen, would you all please stand and join me in a toast to Brenda and Syadhisy. To love, laughter, and happily ever after – cheers!''
I think I was very nervous on the stage. I can still feel my hands trembling when I read out the speech! And I am not sure whether words will ever be enough to summarize all my feelings at that time but I really was very grateful to the friendship throughout many years. Even though right now both of us are in different places, I know that I can come to her whenever, wherever. She was there for the best years of our life in Petronas, and I know she is going to be there for the next few years, no matter where life takes us.
As for Penang and Kuching, these two places are as awesome as it has always been and I just cannot wait to be back there for more char-kuey-tiao and oh-jien (oyster eggs)! If you are curious how the oyster eggs are different from the one in West Malaysia, let me convince you with this picture:
(And I know February was two months ago but it still feel like it wasn't that long! How staying at home has done to me..)
So here you go. My last overseas trip before we started to be officially lockdown here in Australia. We definitely had a good time back home and God knows how thankful I was to be able to make this trip and coming out safe and sound! Coronavirus was slowly making its way in China at this time with thousands of cases during our travel. During our second leg of the journey to fly to Kuching and Penang for the wedding from 8th to 16th February, we were at one point deciding whether to make our next half of the trip happened or should we just fly back home. Still, I was glad that we did make it to Penang and Kuching! And because I was there for this lady, one of my favorite girls, the trip is so worth it in the end.
![]() | ||||||
| Awww, she is so prettyyyy! |
![]() | ||
| Penang wedding - I wore sareee and with my plus one who did not wear traditional clothes @@ |
'' Good evening ladies and gentlemen. Thank you for all being here to celebrate Brenda and Syadhisy’ very special day! For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Susan. I’m the friend of the bride and groom, and I am so honored to be here today to give a speech.
When Brenda asked me to give a speech, mainly because I made her do it at mine and she probably wanted a payback, but I knew how much it would mean to her. I have to say I am very honored to be a part of their special day but most of all to tell you what an amazing person and couple Brenda and Syadhisy are.
I’ll set the scene for you guys, so the story begins, every once in a while two people meet and you know it’s meant to be. I bet you thought I was going to say how magical their first meeting is going to be, but no, I actually describe how Brenda and I met 9 years ago.
We met during an interview session for job in Melbourne. You know how every time in the school there was this nerd girl who is so kiasu and followed you everywhere just to ask you questions? And yes, I am that nerd girl. She was the first candidate in the interview so after her interview ended, I went up to her to ask her for tips. On the record, Bren always said I even carry a notebook but I always tell other people I don't think so. But here it is, our first meeting.
We kept in touch after that because well, as kiasu as I am, I think I am quite a friendly person. Once we received offer letter from Petronas, we let each other know and eventually found out that we both got the same position in the same department. What are the chances? Two new recruits to the company at almost the same time and they are both beautiful. (now you know why we are friends) And from there on, a beautiful friendship is in the process of making.
And I started to know Brenda more, and also her friends and family. She brought me everywhere because I cannot drive. Although at first, she will be like: you very ma fan leh. But I will do my puppy eyes and she will roll her eyes and agree in the end. She is always this kind to her friends. Sometimes, we can just say 'hey, let's go on a road trip' and we drove all the way to Malacca. She can just be as spontaneous as me, so on a fine afternoon, I saw Air Asia had cheap flights to Maldives and I asked her 'shall we go? ' and she said yes why not. So both of us, with a backpack and small luggage because u know how AirAsia luggage is so expensive. So Syadhisy, I know Maldives is a nice honeymoon place but you have to pick somewhere else.
Throughout years when I am working in Petronas, we had holiday, pillow talks, birthday and more. She listens to my struggles and challenges just like I listen to her, sleeping over her room in PJ talking about dreams after our facial session or Korean class and imagining how we will come to be when we are 30 years old in age. And hey, here we are now. Even when we are apart, you are always there for me, listening to my grumbling or surprise me with a bouquet of flowers sent to Melbourne just for my birthday. We’ve been there for each other through some of the difficult times in our lives and have been grateful to experience some of the best years of our lives together.
And here is when I met Syadhisy, probably a year after I met Brenda. I am sorry Syad, I forgot how we first met. But both Bren and I have another motive when we purposely call you over for meeting if you recall. But you warmed up to us, to Bren especially and I secretly do know that it's going to be you when one day she told me that there is this guy. And I have seen how loving and patient you are in this relationship. I know it has not always been easy but I have been cheering for you both since.
Bren, you always say that I am a sister from another mother and I want you to know that you’re like a sister to me too. I’m so happy that you’ve found your another partner in crime who is going to layan all your spontaneous apart from me. I was doing a search on the internet for marriage quotes and I came along this one which I feel summed it up perfectly: “Love is a partnership of two unique people who bring out the very best in each other and who know that, even though they are wonderful as individuals, they are even better together.”
And this is so true for both Bren and Syad. You both are beautiful person inside and out and I’ve had the pleasure of being your friend for many years. You both are so loved by all of us here today and I believe we are all feeling so honored and privilege to be here to celebrate this special day of yours.
I’ll leave you two with a little advice. Love is not easy. It's not always a fairy tale and it's not perfect. Rather, Love is fighting to be together, holding on and never letting go despite the challenges and obstacles. So, as you embark on this new journey together, I wish you all the happiness in the world.
Now, ladies and gentlemen, would you all please stand and join me in a toast to Brenda and Syadhisy. To love, laughter, and happily ever after – cheers!''
I think I was very nervous on the stage. I can still feel my hands trembling when I read out the speech! And I am not sure whether words will ever be enough to summarize all my feelings at that time but I really was very grateful to the friendship throughout many years. Even though right now both of us are in different places, I know that I can come to her whenever, wherever. She was there for the best years of our life in Petronas, and I know she is going to be there for the next few years, no matter where life takes us.
As for Penang and Kuching, these two places are as awesome as it has always been and I just cannot wait to be back there for more char-kuey-tiao and oh-jien (oyster eggs)! If you are curious how the oyster eggs are different from the one in West Malaysia, let me convince you with this picture:
![]() |
| THIS IS SO GOODDD. The oyster egg in Kuching is the one like this, crispy and HUGE. How I miss this! |
Till then! Let me share end my post with the highlights during the trip.
Thanks my sister for bracing the virus together with us and performing with such beautiful music! Love youu ;) 






Comments
Post a Comment