That is how our Saturday goes.

Beware of food pictures ahead! Proceed with caution if you still have not have your breakfast or lunch or dinner yet. ;P

Waking up on a Saturday was a bliss for both husband and I. I mean, being as working adults, you sure understand how it feels? Having no works and can just chill and relax on a lazy afternoon without emails and calls. Ahh what a day. Anyway, I did plan for a day out yesterday, hoping for a good weather to go to this place. I know you are going to judge me for having Singapore food but hey, you know the food that I missed and craved the most while I am here? This is the dish, my ultimate dish that I crave most of the times: THIS!!

Fried Carrot Cake or better known as chai tow kuay




Point taken? Even looking at this dish now, I can feel my stomach making noise. Sigh. I am literally sighing now that I realize there is no mamak here in Melbourne.

Anyway, we woke up and decided to have breakfast at home before we go out to this place for lunch! What a perfect plan you say. Except, we do realize we did not have much in the fridge since we had not done grocery shopping for a while now. What we did have was two random sweet potatoes that my husband bought. And he proposed: why not make the SWEET POTATO DOUGHNUT!!! Like the ones here!!! 

I know right. He likes to come out with all these challenges and the problem is, I fall for his traps EVERY TIME. One day, he said he wanna eat sponge cake and the next day, I will go and search for the recipes and baked it for him. He just knows how competitive I am haha. But I guess this works for both of us, because he did make the fried carrot cake for me too. Yes, homemade chai tao kuay from radish and rice flour. He really did make that from scratch to satisfy my cravings. That makes the two of us I guess? Haha.

So, I googled and found a recipe that I thought was not difficult and here we go:

1. First, steamed your sweet potato (200g) and mashed it evenly.
2. Once the sweet potatoes are cooled to room temperature, only then you mix the flour (80g).
- We have to double the recipe because we have about 400g of sweet potato.
3. And then, make it into doughnut shaped.
4. Deep-fry them afterwards. 



Sounds simple no? Except we sort-of gave up at step 3 because look at this:
This was wayyyy too sticky. We keep adding flour but it was still too sticky. Although after that we googled and realize we should have kneaded them through without adding more flour to the mixture. Anyway, we still somehow make them works by shaping them into this and deep fried them:


HAHAHA. Which part of these looks like doughnut? So, I have decided to name them as SWEET POTATO BALLS
Please don't judge them. They don't looked so good, but they tasted pretty good okay. And yes, in the case that you cannot make them into doughnut shapes, you can learn from me to name them as sweet potato balls instead haha.

And I think it is fine, as long as I have my fried carrot cakes later! But Melbourne just has its way to make me feel even more depressed. Notice these pictures - THREE RAINBOWS in few hours range. At DIFFERENT TIME. So everytime I get my hopes up that the rain has stopped and I can go out, it rains again.



Then it is when then I feel perhaps, we are not meant to go out after all. So realizing that deep-fry oil shall not be wasted, we have decided to have a feast on deep-fried dishes!!



And the menu is:
Salt and Pepper Squid
Deep Fried mushroom
By the way, they are super easy to make. We tried two different batters. My husband used corn flour for the squid and I used plain flour for the mushroom. We did like the corn flour batter better because they tend to be crispier. Both are quite good! If you are craving for some deep-fried food, perhaps you can try them at home too. Take a bowl, put the mushroom in, put flour and seasoning and a bit of olive oil to coat them, and deep-fry them!

Everything fried is JUST SO GOOD. But SO UNHEALTHY. But SO GOOD.

I will recommend this dish for a quick fix on fried food and only when you have a lot of oil! And when you are feeling to be super unhealthy!!

So to conclude, this was how our Saturday went yesterday. Totally missed my mark to be healthy and just to give the context, I played badminton on Friday and this was what I had the next day. But it is ok, once in a while fix like this does make both of us super happy! Fried stuffs are so good. SO GOOD.

Till then!



Comments